Things that are harmful for dogs, that you may not be aware of
Dogs are some of the most beloved pets, so it's heartbreaking to hear that there are certain things dogs should avoid. Unfortunately, items commonly found in homes like certain foods and chemicals can be fatal for our canine companions. All dogs should be protected from consumption of chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions and garlic as they can cause vomiting and diarrhoea or potentially dangerous complications with long-term use. Chemicals found in everyday products such as detergents and cleaning supplies like antifreeze or oil leaks also present a high risk to dogs if ingested.
It’s important to bear in mind the different potential hazards dogs can face at home and take precautionary measures to protect them from exposure—without compromising the ongoing health needs of their humans.
Here are 3 common questions we get asked.
- Why is chocolate harmful for dogs?
Chocolates are often enjoyed by humans as a sweet treat, but dogs should steer clear due to risks that can be inflicted upon their health. Animals have difficulty digesting the caffeine and Theobromine found in chocolate, which can lead to serious medical conditions such as irregular heartbeat, body tremors, and seizures. Ingesting large amounts of chocolate can even lead to death for dogs. It's always important to keep these treats out of reach from our four-legged friends and provide healthier options such as carrots or apples instead!
- Why is antifreeze harmful for dogs?
Antifreeze is highly toxic for dogs, as it contains Ethylene Glycol which dogs are unable to effectively process. If a dog ingests antifreeze, symptoms can begin to appear within thirty minutes and can include vomiting, difficulty walking, seizures, excessive drooling, and even coma or death in severe cases. Antifreeze unfortunately has a sweet flavour, making dogs particularly susceptible to ingesting it. Pet owners must be extremely vigilant in not only keeping the dogs away from antifreeze but also from any other substances that may contain it. They should inspect their cars regularly for any antifreeze leaks or spills and clean them up immediately if found. It's also important to store antifreeze containers securely so dogs cannot get access to them. Finally, pet owners should be sure to contact a veterinarian immediately if they suspect their dog may have ingested antifreeze. Being educated on the risks associated with antifreeze can make all the difference in saving a pet's life.
- Why should you protect your pet from parasites monthly?
It is incredibly important to protect dogs from parasites, especially if you're thinking of taking them for a hike or on a camping trip. These pesky critters can cause major health issues for dogs, such as anaemia and skin irritation, and can also be passed on to humans. By properly treating dogs with flea preventatives and conducting regular check-ups for ticks and other parasites, you are safeguarding your pet against a potentially fatal disease. Not only will this minimise the chance of your dog coming into contact with parasites, but it will help reduce the chances of them spreading to members of your family or other dogs in the area. Protecting dogs from parasites should be something all pet owners strive for!
Is your pet’s parasite protection COMPLETE? 365 day a year protection from fleas, flea tapeworm, heartworm, intestinal worms and ticks is required throughout most of Australia.
To ensure 100% flea eradication from dogs, cats and your home, vets recommend protection against the common flea tapeworm every 3 months. Pet Lovers Club home delivers complete flea, heartworm, intestinal worm and tick protection every month, and includes flea tapeworm protection for FREE every 3rd month, when your pet needs it.